Friday, May 24, 2013

Looks Like Coffee. It isn't.

I'm going to share a little morning ritual with all of you. Since December of last year, I've started my mornings off with this easy to make, not so easy to drink (at first) beverage I tribute my iron immune system to. However, it's more than immune function, it's also a kick-starter or revival appropriate for anytime of day - Molasses Tea.

It's hardly a tea, but you sip it like one and I want to call it that. Bare with me, as I walk you through the recipe.

You will need:
8-10oz hot water
2 Tablespoons raw, unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tablespoon unsulphured Molasses

Boil some water. Pour it in your favorite mug. Stir in your ACV and molasses. Sip. Until it's gone.



The thing about this tea is that it is much like coffee. It looks like coffee. It isn't. The smell alone will wake your ass up. This drink is an acquired taste. If you enjoy it the first time, you're probably kinda weird. My wife watched me drink this stuff for about a month before, she too, was intrigued and started drinking it. I appreciate that most of you probably don't like molasses or apple cider vinegar. However, if you're vegan, anemic or an endurance athlete (or you just stumbled upon this) consider the value of the nutrition this beverage packs:

Molasses (via http://www.wholesomesweeteners.com/brands/wholesome_sweeteners/fair_trade_certified_organic_blackstrap_molasses.html)
Serving Size: measure: 1 Tablespoon  (22g)
Servings per package: 32
Calories per serving: 60
Calories from fat: 0
Total fat (g): 0
Saturated fat (g): 0
Cholesterol (mg): 0
Sodium (mg): 0
Potassium: 730mg
Calcium: 115mg

Total carbohydrate (g):14g
Dietary fiber (g): 0
Sugars (g): 10g
Proteins (g): 0
Iron: 15% RDV
Vitamin B6: 10% RDV
Magnesium: 8% RDV

 
Apple Cider Vinegar (Read more here: http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/vinegar-history.html)

Arguably the oldest cure-all remedy on Earth. Socrates and Hippocrates prescribed this remedy because of it's natural healing properties in the human body. Unpasteurized, unfiltered ACV has that cloudy floating thing in it - The Mother. This is the bacteria that you want. The good stuff.


I challenge you to try this drink for a week and tell me you don't feel better, especially after a night out with some friends, or alone, I'm not judging. I promise your liver and your general recovery from training or life will thank you.

2 comments:

  1. I'll give this a shot. I'm anemic and looking for a coffee alternative. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't consider it an "alternative" so much, but definitely a beverage to consume before a morning coffee/tea routine. Since you are anemic, might I give you a heads up before I update a new post? Buy a 10" cast iron pan to cook most meals out of. Increases iron absorbance by more than 400%. No joke. Check back soon; my interest lies in maximum oxygen, iron, carbohydrate, protein and zinc efficiency. Glad to be of service.

      Delete