Wednesday, August 3, 2011

'Cross Club, So Good

Last night was my first 'Cross Club race, and I must say, it's well worth the $2, bruised knee, sore legs, and filthy bike. I recently discovered this "not-so-underground" pirate cyclocross racing event through the likes of Robert Higdon (whom I believe to be the fearless leader of Team Soft like Kitten). My first encounter with 'Cross Club was just a few weeks ago, when I learned (via twitter; @cross_club) that their ever-changing location was just down the way from my house. I finished my training ride after work, went home to grab my bag (for beer, of course), got a 12-pk of Rainier, and meandered my way to the meeting spot in the park.

Now, let the record show 1) I don't own a cyclocross bike, yet. 2) I hardly know anyone that might be there, so I brought my own beer... I mean, this is 'cross right? 3) I've only done 2 cross rides before, 1 race and 1 practice ride. With that being said, upon my arrival I was greeted with kindness and beer from the 13 people that were there to race. I merely came to spectate, heckle and meet some new friends. I received plenty of guff for not racing, although they were understanding of my situation. However, I was told that I need to get a bike and race next time because standing around couldn't possibly be as fun. Truth.

Last night I decided that my current "race" bike could undergo a small transformation to make the cut for a 'cross ride, given that it was dry out. With the waterbottle cages removed, the quick installation of some spd mountain bike pedals I had lying around and a pair of Vittoria Randonneur tires... she was ready. Well, as ready as a road bike can be for terrain its not made for.

Next step, go to the park and practice mount/dismounting before Cross Club to avoid looking like a rookie. As everyone should know, it's okay to be a rookie at something, but for all that is sacred, please don't be so obvious about it. I felt pretty confident in my technique, so now all I had to do was show up and not crash. After riding the course with Matt, one of the Hodala Raleigh dudes, I noticed the collection of racers had more than doubled from what I noticed last time. I think everyone was a little shocked. Being that there were 30 of us, the field was split into new people and the experienced. I raced with the newbies and managed to hold top 10 after the longest 4 laps of my life. I'm sure my ego had a little to do with that, since I couldn't show up as a known roadie and not place decently. My fitness is respectable, but it was no match for the kind of fitness required to kick ass in a 'cross ride. I only "almost" went down once at the finish line with 1 lap to go IN FRONT OF EVERYONE, but because I didn't eat dirt, I was applauded and kept going. I can't wait to get a real bike rolling for this season, riding in the grass and dirt will make me a lot better at racing road, and I'm already making more friends. All good things here. If you live in Seattle and are interested, sign up at crossclubseattle.com for Tuesday night pain, beer, and really good company. No attitudes here :)

These were snapped before the mob showed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment