Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Lake Washington/ Mercer Is. Loop Clockwise

Yesterday Matt and I took an "easy" ride around Lake Washington, which included a detour through Mercer Island. I say easy because the idea of the ride was to stay at a leisurely pace and put in some decent miles. In reality we all know that when you get excited about a new ride you just wanna haul ass for as much of it as you can, well, atleast I do. With that being said I was really impressed with Matt keeping up on his track bike. There were four major climbs in the loop, each consisting of atleast a mile or two and all of which were just north of Bellevue. Perhaps that's why they call that area Juanita Hills, go figure. There was, however, a nice reward after the bombing of said hills... A pit stop in Juanita Bay where we enjoyed some kind herb and a gorgeous view.


The tiny erect figures in the middle-right part of the skyline are buildings from downtown Seattle.





This last one was snapped by yours truly seconds before Matt's rear tube spontaneously pops with that violent gun shot sound. After we repaired the overly inflated situation, it went from trail bound to road side. I will admit that I didn't follow my own directions and got us lost and about 10 miles off course, which wasn't bad but roads without bike lanes suck in suburbia.

We took the scenic route at hwy90 and cut through Mercer Island where I had hoped to hit up the Mercer Island loop, but alas. I'm sure Matt was hurting by that point, 50 miles w/o a shammy on a track bike doesn't seem that awesome... so we skipped the loop and went straight back to the hill for some protein drank at Emerald City Smoothie


Anyone looking for the directions I mostly took, and should have followed for an optimal experience, PEEP GAME!

No comments:

Post a Comment