Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My 1st Special @ Ocho

I finally had an opportunity to throw a special on the menu for my weekend saute shifts. There are so many bland mushroom dishes out there, I knew I had to keep it simple but definitely unique for it to sell. With the help of my friend Slick Johnny in Sacramento, who's food knowledge is highly regarded, I was able to put together a Portabella Mushroom skewer laid over a Sofrito Eggplant White Bean puree with some Sweet Pequillo Peppers and Pine Nuts.


vegan power


To my surprise we sold out of the first batch of 35 skewers that I made. The mushrooms are submerged in balsamic vinegar and garlic while as I filleted them. After they were sliced I sauted them with a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Hickory Smoked Chard (because I couldn't actually find any Hickory Wood Chips, to achieve that smoked flavor) then braised them in red wine. Once the red wine reduced I rolled the slices and skewed them.

bomb.com

No comments:

Post a Comment